New & Used Scissor Lifts
What is a scissor lift?
A scissor lift is a working platform which can be mechanically lifted up vertically, to raise workers, tools and materials to areas of height.
Scissor lifts are also referred to as aerial work platforms (AWP), elevated work platforms (EWP) or mobile elevating work platforms (MEWP). The platform sits on top of an hydraulic criss-crossing scissor pack, which is where the name originates.
Find out more about scissor lift
Types of scissor lift
- Electric scissor lifts
- Diesel scissor lifts
- Hybrid scissor lifts
Benefits of scissor lifts
- Scissor lifts are very versatile and can be used in a number of applications, which makes them a flexible piece of machinery
- They come in a large number of models and sizes so that you can select the most suitable one for your application
- They can be used both indoors and outdoors, with the options for non-marking tyres and clean electrical fuel
- Scissor lifts are easy to move into position and quicker to set up than scaffolding or work towers
- Simple to operate
- Compact storage, as when the scissor lift is not in use, the platform can be lowered and stored taking up very little space
- Small models can be used to gain access in very small spaces
- Due to deck size, and safe working loads (SWL), several people can work on the platform at a time; larger size machines have the capacity to have a number of people & tools on board.
What applications are scissor lifts good for?
- Scissor lifts are now considered safer and more efficient alternatives to ladders, scaffolding and work towers. Therefore they can be used for any application where you need to access areas of height vertically
- These machines are now widely used in a number of industries and settings including construction, retail, airports, warehouses, stadiums and schools.
- Smaller electric scissors can usually turn on their own axis, requiring very little space to manoeuvre. Larger diesel scissor lifts usually have stabilisers to provide better stability when working at great heights.
What is the difference between scissor lift and a cherry picker?
A scissor lift is a platform that can go up and down vertically in one plane, and has no or very little outreach (unless the unit has a slide out deck).
An articulated cherry picker can go up and down, but with a greater range of movement and outreach due to hinges on the boom, so they can articulate up and down over obstacles. A telescopic cherry picker usually is quicker in operation to reach height, but does not have articulation or ‘up and over’ capacity.
What training do I need to use a scissor lift?
In order to operate a scissor lift, you will need to have category 1a/3a IPAF training depending on your requirements. We can provide training in just the area you require, or we can provide IPAF training for 2 subjects, which will qualify you to operate machines that fall into the 1a, 1b, 3a and 3b categories, such as a cherry picker.
If you have previously been IPAF trained, we also provide refresher IPAF training.
AFI deliver industry leading training and are recognised as one of the leading IPAF training providers in the UK. We offer training through our AFI Training brand.
How to service and maintain your scissor lift
Our team are experts in servicing and maintaining scissor lifts and all the machines we sell have been through rigorous testing to ensure that you are purchasing equipment of the highest safety levels.
We can offer comprehensive service and maintenance packages including LOLER certification to keep your machines legal and your workers safe. We are also able to cover breakdowns at an agreed additional cost.
Click here to find out more about our service and maintenance options.
Which scissor lift do I need?
There are many types of scissor lift available depending on the space available, height required, application and your budget.
If you are still unsure which type of scissor lift or aerial platform you need for your application, then get in touch and our experienced and friendly team will be able to talk you through your options.
View all machines for sale
Results Matching Criteria: 105